Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Today is a new day.  I am a traveling neuro technologist.  We are like traveling nurses in that we take 13-week assignments all over the country.  We are able to have housing provided for us by our agency as part of each contract.  People think it is free but in actuality it comes out of the budget for each contract.  If we find out own housing the money allotted for housing stipend comes to us. If you figure housing stipend, per diem, and wages it is a nice set up.  The travel is a bonus to a wonderful job.



I sit in this no-frills, no laundromat, no kitchenette, and no pool, hotel room figuring my bills while making a list of things to take care of in the next few days.  Payday is Friday.  In the last four years I have made adjustments but I don't feel like I am getting ahead. I am determined to get back to basics...living simply.

I moved out of the apartment to save money planning to move into my camper while fixing it up. The mobile RV guy was all gung-ho to get the work done.  His first job was supposed to be hooking up the new gas stove and providing propane tanks.  However, he reneged on that when I called him on the cost he quoted me for installing a power converter.  By that time I was sitting in a trailer with no water, no toilet (new one in box), no propane, and no electricity.



The campground did not want me to stay because my camper needed that much work.  Camper is now in storage at a RV repair place near the campground.  That is why I moved into the hotel and although I am still saving money being here I am still searching for a place. I have been here once for three weeks and now for two weeks. The hotel policy is that you can only stay 28 days; you have to leave for 2 days before you can come back for another 28 days.

The first time I lugged all my stuff out of the car and into the room.  When it was time to move I hauled it all back to my car for two days.  This time I did not unpack my car.  It makes me laugh though as I feel somewhat like a homeless person with all the junk in the back seat.

When I took this new job it was to make good money but I don't feel that I'm handling that money very well.  Living simply taught me to make do with less of everything even money.  Now I make more money than I ever did but somehow it seems that I am no further ahead.

My goal now is to pay everything off in a timely manner, save some for the future, enjoy simply again, and keep traveling.

I was sitting here at the desk eating a can of Beefaroni that cost me a dollar.  That means I saved a lot of money on supper...lol.  Wish I liked cold Beefaroni though...there is a microwave downstairs next to the pop machine.  People take turns heating food up in that but I just skipped the line; I have a microwave in my car but I am not getting that out.

Little Dude and I are chilling in Motel No-Frills tonight watching NCIS New Orleans.  Been there, done that...been to the NOLA.  The nicest people live there.

Sign me, Getting Back to Basics, M

No comments: