Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Retirement Anyone?



On November 9th, I will be 62 years old. That means that I can quit working and retire on the fruits of my labors....ideally. This has been a reality check for me because I have not worked steadily like most people. I stayed home with my kids and worked as a Kelly Girl over the early years.

Today, I called the Social Security Administration office local to my home base. They are taking care of my Ticket To Work process and it is time for me to connect with them. Apparently, if I take my social security retirement I will make less (-30%) than I did on Disability. (Cannot imagine that...) I supplemented that income with HEAP, food stamps, and medicaid covered my prescriptions, medical appointments, etc.  If I were to retire I would be reverting back to surviving on the system that I struggled to free myself from four years ago.

I have to keep working like so many of my peers while others are retiring and enjoying their golden years.  Some of us joke about the Golden Years...they are somewhat tarnished in our views.

I have been asked if I can get my social security retirement based on my husband's earnings...he always worked in Canada.

Yes, I feel that I have painted myself into a corner because I could not accept living under the ...but no matter what, God is good. When I pulled up my big girl panties, finished my Bachelor's Degree, sucked it up, and got a job that got me off Disability I onmade a choice to move forward no matter what repercussions that might bring.  I remember my first job in West Virginia I would find myself collapsing into bed each day after work.  I would cry because I loved doing EEGs again, the peers that were so into what we do, they tech who provided education for the techs, the patients...it all made me want to keep going.  I remember seeing my reflection in the glass windows in the hallway and wondering just how I got so old.  I kept going even when I began to second-guess my decision.  The exhaustion gradually gave way to better days and to energy levels that were improving. The neurologist told me that I had become stronger when I went back to work.

I have a good job and I still have my health. There are days when I feel like I am slogging through emotional and physical muck.  The good days are a breath of fresh air.  Last week I collapsed into bed and slept and slept whenever I got home.  This week I feel better.  Heck, I was just dancing to music right here in the living room of the apartment (that my job provides for me).


Sign me, Living Simply On Assignment In Small Town America

No comments: